Sunday 11 December 2011

"Fixing Fitmom"

Its a well known fact that women especially moms have a hard time taking care of themselves.  Its also quite well known that health care professionals often get into a cycle of giving and neglecting the self.  In my case it has been a snowball effect of working through two pregnancy's with no maternity leave, running a demanding business and hanging on to a failing relationship for way too long.  You wake up one day and realize you have been juggling so many balls and working too hard to please everyone but yourself. So in an effort to practice what I preach I have committed the next year of life to putting my own health front and center.
I have come to terms with the fact trying to squeeze more in my already busting at the seams busy life will leave some people unhappy with me. Ce la vie!

Fixing Fitmom does not imply that I am broken but will get to the heart of taking my own health seriously and speak to the imbalance of lifestyle mothers face and hopefully provide solutions.

First stop " Thrive Family Wellness" with Dr. Jennifer Wise. While I did not choose her because of her last name she certainly fits the bill. Wisdom comes in many forms and compassion and kindness right up there.  Dr.Jennifer Wise is a doctor of chiropractic care and I have gone to her after hearing many great reviews from clients and people in the community. As well there is other practitioners in her office that may need to jump on project me.

It appears my stress level over the last years has taken its toll and the continuous training and one posterior delivery have caused some issues.  With a high pain tolerance post competitive training I realize I have picked up that bad habit of ignoring pain in my body.  Red light! 

My first appointment for which I was late (because of course I forgot I had the boys home that day for a P.D. day) was awesome and humbling. I was exhausted and not myself.  The health screen was an eye opener. 

Do you have any of the following? it states...
Tick, tick ,tick go the little square boxes. :( How sad that life gets so crazy that women especially mothers get neglected even when they know better.  I started to think crawling under the chair and ignoring the pain might be better but on I went.    Dr. Wise is this sweet kind woman whom although has no children herself seems to really get it.  Her presence has this beautiful touch that makes self care seem just that much more appealing.  I have to admit there was a moment where the vulnerable me wanted to fall in ball and just listen to her talk about how important my health is.

On the table she got to see how "twisted" I am literally.  A laundry list of serious injuries ,accidents and again the posterior birth half me a little off center. Poetic I say. Stay tuned for the next fixing FITMOM....

In health...(yours and mine )

Andrea

1 comment:

  1. Yay Andrea. Ever the inspiration... in spite of yourself. Love you so much.

    ReplyDelete